Between You and Me
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Cakes

Go down

Welsh Cakes Empty Welsh Cakes

Post  Admin Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:59 am

Welsh cakes ingredients

225g/8oz plain flour
100g/4oz butter
75g/3oz caster sugar
50g/2oz currants
½tsp baking powder
¼tsp mixed spice
1 egg
A pinch salt
A little milk to bind
How to make Welsh cakes

Homemade Welsh Cakes with orange butter

Homemade Welsh cakes by you can count on me
Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, mixed spice) together into a mixing bowl. Cut up the butter and rub into the flour. Stir in the sugar and fruit, pour in the egg and mix to form a dough, use a little milk if the mixture is a little dry. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about the thickness of a biscuit. Use a pastry cutter to cut out rounds. Cook the cakes on a greased bake stone or griddle until golden. The heat should not be too high, as the cakes will cook on the outside too quickly, and not in the middle. Once cooked sprinkle with caster sugar and serve with butter.

As an alternative you can try mixed dried fruit or tropical fruit. Some grated lemon or orange rind is also good. An unusual but delicious addition is 1 teaspoon of lavender flowers with some citrus zest. Add a little orange juice, zest and icing sugar to some soft butter to serve with the Welsh cakes.

Find out more about traditional Welsh recipes
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://between-you-and-me.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down